The last three weeks have been very interesting. After a few moments of culture shock and sticker shock (from what things cost here) we have settled right in. I can tell you that every American should live outside of the country at least once in their lifetime. It will not only open your eyes to the wide world we live in, but it will also make you appreciate all that we have as Americans. It will also make you a little bit embarrassed about all that we have as Americans.
Some of you have been asking what we miss or what is different or what we need--so here is a short list of all of the above.
What we miss:
Friends and Family
Mexican Food
Cousins, Aunts, Uncles and Grannies that babysit
Small Group
New Movies (movie releases are delayed here)
Wal-Mart with 24 Hour Shopping
Diet Dr. Pepper (no such thing in New Zealand)
Bill Miller's BBQ
Splenda in Big Bags
Being able to buy Ziploc Bags in BIG boxes
Tide Liquid Laundry Detergent
A Dishwasher
A Double Sink
Air Conditioning
Driving on the Right Side of the Road (Bonnie)
Lane Bryant, Eddie Bauer, Casual Male, Sephora, Ulta, and Payless Shoes
What Is Different:
Some things that we always had to have in the US are too expensive to have here--like Ziploc bags (15 for $4)
Loreal Makeup Foundation costs $8.99 at Wal-Mart and is $38.99 here! UGH!
Pantene Shampoo is $3.5 for 32 oz at Wal-Mart and is $7.99 for 16 oz here!
You can't buy dry pinto beans at the grocery store--but did find them at the health food store for $3.50 for a 1/2 pound.
Vitamins cost a fortune here!
A lot of prescription drugs in the US are over the counter here (bonus!), like Olivia's medicine.
Coke comes in 1 or 2 liter bottles--2 liter bottle costs $1.99 on sale.
There is no shower in the bathroom and the toilet area is almost always separate.
No one has air conditioning and so they leave their windows open a lot.
It is colder here now than it is in Texas.
We have morning tea at church after service (very nice!).
You buy chicken breasts at the butcher, not the grocery store.
You can buy fresh milk at the store and it all has more cream in it than in the US.
None of the cheese is colorized.
Bottle brushes that cost $1.99 at Wal-Mart cost $10.99 here.
The Metric System, need I say more...
All of the extra letters--jewellry, Saviour, Honour, etc. and "S's" instead of "Z's"
Things we need:
White Leather Baby Keds in Size 3, 6, 8
Old Navy Baby Girl shoes in size 18-24 mos
Baby PJs (especially footy ones) in size 24 mos (girls or unisex), 9 mos, 12 mos (boys)
Gillete Fusion Razor Blades (re-fills)
Makeup
Dermalogica Facial Cleansing Stuff and Shave Stuff
Carol's Daughter Shampoo, Conditioner and Hair Milk (for Olivia's hair)
Ziploc bags--gallon and quart size
Looking back at these differences and the things we miss, even at the things we need--makes me laugh. It has been three weeks jam packed with changes and learning. I can't say that I have loved every minute of it, but I have loved most of it. I came determined to remain positive and I have. The people are so friendly. We love our church! I love everything about the way Whangarei looks and feels. I love the stores, even when what I want costs 3x's as much. I love our car, even if I can't drive it--it is cute and was a gift from our 3rd cousins. I love not having a dishwasher because it makes me keep the kitchen cleaner and I have always preferred baths to showers. Accept for my allergies--I even love having the windows open.
This is an adventure of a lifetime and one that I hope does not end any time soon. We miss all of you very much. Feel free to send Ziploc bags!
