Friday, June 15, 2007

No news is good news!

Well, we finally heard from our adoption counselor today. This week has been a busy week. She was out of town last week and has been catching up this week. So even though we checked in Sunday to report on our conversation with our birth mother, we hadn't heard anything yet.

We are still working towards meeting at the end of the month. We have had two conversations now with our birth mother and she still seems interested in us. That is good! She reported to the agency that we talked about meeting at the end of the month, but that was about all she talked about in regards to us. Our adoption counselor forgot to schedule a new conversation with her so we are supposed to call our birth mother again on Sunday, like we did this week.

Today was payday so I did a little shopping. I have made it my personal mission to try out every thrift store and consignment store in town. I have placed all of the little girl clothes I bought for the last adoption match at a consignment store about 25 minutes from here--sheesh! The store I usually shop at wasn't taking in clothes and so I found a different one. I have discovered that the best place to find really cheap baby clothes in good shape is the Good Will store where everything is $1.49 or less. I have gone to the Junior League shop (not worth the trouble), a creepy consignment store in the front of someones house in the bad part of town, and more.

My favorite consignment store in town remains Classy Kids on Nova Rd. It is a little expensive, but there is a good selection, good sales, and very friendly people. I have been shopping there for months, little by little. I bought our stroller/car seat combo, bassinet, crib bedding set, diaper pail, books, and lots of baby clothes there. I even found two boppys and two boppy covers (I gave one to Annie and David--our youth leaders). I don't mind paying a little more there than at Good Will because I figure I am helping the mom who is selling the items and keeping the store in business. I just love the idea of recycling! I have found that I would so rather buy used items than new ones. (Which reminds me I am recovering our sofa again in this leatherette. It is so cool. I will put up pictures when I am done. The leatherette was on clearance at Wal-Mart and cost next to nothing!)

I also went to the Hospice Thrift Store today. It is a beautiful place! There was a gorgeous Pottery Barn style couch there. I wanted it so bad, but I it would be a luxury item we just can't afford right now. I did buy a Lane chest, smaller than the average cedar chest, in good condition. It had just come in and the lady gave me a very good deal on it, plus 20% off. She was so kind. I told her I wanted to use it as a toy chest and explained we are adopting a baby. She had so many questions. I even told her about our failed adoption. She said, "Well, this one is going to work I just know it!...You will be a wonderful mother, that baby is one very blessed child." Wow! She made me promise to bring in the baby if everything works out.

On the way home I called Andy to tell him about the experience. I said, "Why do these things always mean so much when a total stranger says them to you?" Andy said, "Because they seem to come from God--it is a God thing." It was a God thing.

This Saturday our church is doing a Wesley Fast, followed by a break the fast supper and prayer service. We will be fasting all day from sun up and praying for our church, the youth ministry, and our adoption. I am really looking forward to it. I have never been a part of a church that fasted together in a group effort. This comes in a timely manner as our parent's meeting is on Monday.

We'll keep you posted. Please continue to be in prayer for our adoption, the birth mother, the baby, and our ministry.